What is Forge?
Forge is a modding API and loader that is created to allow community-created game mods to be used easily with Minecraft: Java Edition. While playing vanilla Minecraft is great, it can get boring quite fast. One of the best parts of Minecraft is the ability to mod it further than the normal Vanilla gameplay on your MC server hosting server. Whether you are adding mods for custom mobs, new maps, or just a new type of game type, mods will always require Forge. A lot of the fun mod packs you see floating around such as RLCraft is actually using Forge to run correctly. In this guide, we will be explaining how you can install Forge on your Minecraft server.
If you don’t have your own Minecraft server, you can learn more about our MC sever hosting services here.
How to Install Forge
- Head to the Forge website and to the left of the page, notice the listing of all the Minecraft versions here.
- Click on the Minecraft version that you want to run, then click “Installer” to download it to your computer. It is best that you create a new folder on your computer for this.
- Run the installer. Once it runs, select “Install Server”.
- Press the 3 dots to the right of the screen.
- Locate the folder you created in step 2 and press “Open”.
- You should see a popup, click OK and wait for it to finish installing.
- In the folder you chose, you should see a few files including a libraries folder, a minecraft_server jar file, and a forge jar file.
- Rename the forge jar file to “server.jar” (the extension needs to be .jar, make sure you don’t let it be set as “server.jar.jar”).
- Head to the Iceline Hosting game panel and stop your Minecraft server.
- You will need to access your server files using an FTP client like FileZilla or WinSCP.
- After you are connected to the FTP, make sure to delete the current “server.jar” file that’s in the FTP. Once it’s deleted, you will want to drag in the libraries folder, minecraft_server jar, and the forge jar (rename it to server.jar).
- Once these are fully uploaded, go ahead and start your MC server hosting server back up.
Facing Any Issues?
Make sure to check the console for any errors on startup. Typical errors with this install can include not all of the libraries’ files being uploaded (simply reupload with FileZilla) or the forge jar being named incorrectly. Make sure to check these things and if you are still having issues, feel free to contact Iceline Hosting Support!