In this tutorial, we’ll be guiding you through the process of creating a Valheim server on a Windows based VPS. We recommend purchasing a Game VPS from Iceline Hosting, as we’ve rigorously tested numerous hardware to ensure that your game server will perform at it’s best!
Installing a Valheim Server
First, you’ll need to use RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) to login to your VPS.
1) Navigate to “This PC” then “Local Disk (C:)
2) Create a new folder labelled “SteamCMD”
3) Download SteamCMD for Windows, then extract the contents of “steamcmd.zip” into the folder you just created
5) Follow these instructions:
- Type “login anonymous”
- Type “force_install_dir c:\valheim_server\”
- Type “app_update 896660”
6) Once the server is finished installing, navigate to the folder where you installed the server (C:/valheim_server)
7) Create a new file labelled “start.bat” and copy the following: contents:
start valheim_server.exe -nographics -batchmode -name "My server" -port 2456 -world "Dedicated" -password "secret" -public 1
8) Modify the variables to your liking, such as the password, server hostname etc.
9) Press the Windows button and search for “Allow an app through Windows Firewall”
10) Click “Allow another app…”
11) Click “Browse” then navigate to “C:/valheim_server” then click “valheim_server.exe” and click “Open”
12) Click “Add” then press “OK” – The Rust server is now allowed through the firewall!
13) Navigate to “C:/valheim_server” then double click “start.bat” and the server should start!
If you have followed all the steps correctly, your Valheim server should be successfully installed on your VPS. If you’re facing any issues, feel free to contact us!