What is Better Chat?
BetterChat is a plugin that can be used to revamp and replace Rust’s default chat system. It allows you to customize things such as the color of player’s names and even gives you the ability to add prefixes to make it easier to see which users are donators, staff members, etc. To install BetterChat on your Rust server hosting, you’ll need to ensure that you have Oxide installed. You can view our tutorial on how to install Oxide here.
How to Install Better Chat to Your Rust Server
- To begin, start by downloading the ‘BetterChat’ plugin by navigating to your Iceline Game Panel, select the ‘plugins’ tab, and click install on ‘BetterChat’. You can now skip to step four. Alternatively, you can install the plugin manually from here and follow the steps below.
- Connect to your SFTP via FileZilla (We have a guide on how to do this here).
- Upload the ‘BetterChat.cs’ file to your /oxide/plugins folder.
- You can now restart your Rust server hosting.
- By default, players on your server will have the [Player] prefix. To change this and configure the plugin, navigate to “/oxide/data/BetterChat.json” either through the file-manager on the Iceline panel or through FTP. You will be presented with a .json file similar to the one below.
- For this example, we’re going to change the prefix to ‘Member’. To do this, all you need to do is find the “Text”: “[Player]” field and change it to “Text”: “[Member]”. Below this, you can also change other parameters such as the prefix color through the use of hex codes.
These are the basic modifications that can be made through Better Chat, more in-depth information can be found on the official uMod page here.
Facing any issues?
The format is very important when editing .json configuration files so the use of a JSON editor or validation site will help with any formatting issues you might be having. Also, check your Rust server hosting console for any errors! Still having problems? Feel free to contact our support team at Iceline Hosting any time.